Monday, August 29, 2011

Sunday Cooking

I took advantage of everyone recovering from the flooding Post Hurricane Irene to do some Sunday cooking to get ready for the week.  So what did I make?

  • Egg Cassarole (for 2 to eat all week for breakfast)
  • Sweet Potatoes (for dinners and post workout)
  • Pot Roast (Sunday Dinner and Monday Dinner)

Sunday Cooking!

I did all of this cooking at the same time, so that while my Pot Roast is cooking on the stove, I'm chopping up my sweet potatoes.  For the first 15 mins of cooking the sweet potatoes I'm chopping the veggies and cracking eggs for the egg cassarole.  After everything is in the oven/cooking on the stove then I clean up everything I used to prepare.  I like cooking, and when I'm cooking I tend to listen to podcasts - I'm a big Robb Wolf fan, and to me there is nothing better than cooking up a whole bunch of Paleo goodies while listening to Robb Wolf (I know I'm a bit of a nutrition-dork!).
 
This was my first time tackling a pot roast, and was inspired by my dwindling supply of meat from Philly Cow Share (a new 1/8th of the cow is coming in November!) - I had about a 2.5 pound chuck roast that I had no idea what to do with.  With some quick cookbook paging through I found a recipe that called for a chuck roast in my Paleo Diet Cookbook, Perfect Paleo Pot Roast.  Since it wasn't 100 degrees out, and Pot Roast used to be one of my favorite meals that my mom made, I decided to give it a try.

Here is what I made, I used the recipe from the Paleo Diet Cookbook, but modified it slightly.  I left out the cayenne pepper, added garlic, used indian chili powder (its a little spicier than traditional mexican chili powder), and for the veggies I added sweet potatoes to the pot.  Here is the recipe based on what I actually put in the pot.

  • ~2.5lb grassfed chuck roast
  • 1tsp indian chili powder
  • 1tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 T minced garlic (about 1 clove minced)
  • 1 cup marsala wine
  • 1 cup high quality chicken broth
  • 1 large onion
  • 6 carrots
  • 6 stalks of celery
  • 2 small sweet potatoes
Put the roast in a large stock pot and add the rub (all spices) to coat the roast.  Brown it on all sides for about 8 minutes, and then add the veggies.  Sautee for another 6 mintues, add the wine and chicken broth, bring to a boil and then turn on low and cover, let cook for 2 hours. 
 

 
Paleo Pot Roast with Veggies

 
My Dinner on Sunday Night

 
In addition to the pot roast and roasted veggies - which has a little bit of a spicy kick from the indian chili powder, I sauteed bok choy with shallots to round out my meal. 
 
So while the pot roast was bubbling away on the stove, I worked on creating the sweet potatoes and egg cassarole. 
Egg Casarole and Sweet Potatoes!
Sweet Potatoes - these are super easy:
  • 3 – 4 Sweet Potatoes
  • 2 -3 T, Grass-fed butter or Coconut Oil
  • 2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1 tsp Nutmeg

Wash and peel sweet potatoes. Cut into thin circles/half circles depending on how big your potatoes are and fill a glass baking pan. Add 2 -3 tablespoons (depending on how many potatoes you have) of grass-fed butter or coconut oil to the potatoes. Sprinkle the potatoes with 2 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp nutmeg to evenly cover the potatoes. If some aren’t covered, add a little more in a 2 to 1 ratio of each spice. Bake at 400 for 40 to 50 minutes until soft - the thinner the sweet potato slices, the faster this will cook.


Veggie Filled Egg Cassarole

15 eggs, well beaten
½ cup of coconut milk (full fat is best)
1/2 red pepper, chopped 
1 head of broccoli, chopped
1 tomato, chopped


Preparation:


Preheat oven to 350 and grease with coconut oil glass Pyrex casserole dish.  Whisk all your eggs in a big bowl and add coconut milk. Chop all fo the veggies and line the bottom of the casserole dish with them.  Pour the egg mixture into the dish, using a spatula to get all of the egg mixture out.  Make sure all of the veggies are covered in egg, push around as needed for balance, and then put it in the oven.  Baked for 25- 30 minutes at 400 - right next to the sweet potatoes.
There isn't a science to this egg recipe, I make it a little differently each time I make it depending on what I have in my fridge and what I got in the CSA box that week.

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy! I love cooking an egg casserole on Sundays, it makes the rest of the week's morning seems so much less chaotic.

    ReplyDelete